Saturday 29 July 2017

Inkspirational Photo Challenge

Woo Hoo! Time for a brand new challenge over at Inkspirational. This fortnight we have a photo to inspire you!


For me this was pretty much a no brainer. I wanted to create the wood panels and just stick with the colour scheme. Here is my card -


I created my wood panels using a technique by the very talented Karen Dunbrook from Snippets. The tutorial shows you how to create your own woodgrain panels. I did make a few changes to my panel as I will explain - 

Karen used Distress Inks to create her woodgrain look (this is after the glue and scoring steps - check out the tutorial to see what I mean). I really wanted to use Brushos to create a more watery paint look. So, I used watercolour paper for the green panels. I smooshed it into Leaf Green brusho and then dried with my heat gun. I then smooshed it into Turquoise drying between smooshes. This gave it a really nice blend of colours. I used a Brown Zig watercolour pen to add a bit of distress. I cut up the panel into sections then used Vintage Photo distress ink around the edges. For the white panel, this was on normal cardstock and I pounced a Posh White ink pad onto the card. I smooshed it with a little Grey Brusho and distressed the edges once again with Vintage Photo ink.

This took a little time but it was really worth it! 


I popped up my panels with foam tape. I was worried that my white die cut sentiment was going to get lost so I originally adhered a grey one. I decided to overlay the grey with the white which I really liked.

I hope you like this photo for inspiration as much as I do. I had a lot of fun trying to recreate these panels.

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges -

Timeout - Inspired by Words challenge
'If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely'  
(to me, when I have good thoughts I can't help but smile and smiling brings out your beauty)

(I think this card would be perfect for a bloke)

Mix it Up Challenge - Anything Goes + option of Distressing


See you over at Inkspirational!

15 comments:

  1. Such a clever way to make wood panels Kylie, love the colours and such a great take on the inspiration pic, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your panels look absolutely fantastic, Kylie! I love your take on the challenge. CAS, stylish, creative, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is amazing Kylie. I couldn't believe how realistic the panels looked. Now I realise it took a lot of very clever and creative skill to do this. It sure paid off and I am so pleased you shared with us at Time Out Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...GASP! I'm in awe over your creativity in creating the panels that are....well, perfection! So striking; so beautiful! WOW! Definitely smiling in seeing your work or art!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your mixed media card. Such a beautiful work :-))
    I am so glad you played along with us at The Male Room. Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you created your wood panels with Brushos! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fabulous techniques have made this the perfect reflection of the photo. Simple and stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your right I think it's perfect for a bloke too. Incredible background and colours on the "wood", love the effect and the sentiment is perfect mounted on top. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room mixed media challenge. Faith dT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done and thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Angie DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Kylie... I am super amazing by how you created those wood panels! I will totally be watching that tutorial. This looks absolutely stunning. Your colors are so rich and even the white "board" is really impressive. You definitely nailed this challenge!
    - Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooooo cool, Kylie ... I just really want to stretch out and feel the texture on those wooden planks ... they're awesome! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wood never looked so good! I totally enjoy how you created the boards and used the green. The distressing and the DI were used perfectly! Gorgeous and clean design. Awesome sauce!

    Thanks for joining us at Mix It Up! Hugz ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kylie, your distressed panels are gorgeous. I need to go and check ouot Karen's video. The bright, crisp, white sentiment is perfect with the white background. Fabulous take on the photo. Thanks for having me along as GD at Inkspirational this week - and for making me feel so welcome :-)
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kylie,

    Ah-MAYZING!! What a great technique, so bold eye catching. So clever to finish off with the white lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! The simplicity of the design and the bold colours are just super. So sorry to be so late commenting. Thanks so much for playing along with our Mixed Media challenge at The Male Room, Deborah. DT.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - they make my day!!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.